Monday, March 16, 2009

Saying Goodbye

Our beloved friends who make up the Nuru community development committee (“the CDC”- the local leadership team that we’ve developed these past 6 months) threw us an incredible going away/welcoming party on Sunday. They sent out invitations to all the Nuru leaders in each program area and even printed agendas for the event with the title prominently displayed at the top: “Nuru Tea Party”.

The funny thing is that there wasn’t a drop of tea at the party. It was actually way bigger and better than a tea party. All our friends showed up dressed to impress, heartfelt speeches were made by many including the chiefs, an incredible meal was served, fantas and cokes were flowing throughout the day, and there was even a live band playing traditional Kurian music, the kind that you can’t possibly sit still listening to. It was a rockin’ party really, with lots of love and dancing too!

Philip, the chairman of the CDC explained to the group that Meghan, our new education program manager, knows how to dance because she had worked in Sudan and was familiar with African culture. He then turned to me and announced: “But, Nicolay [that’s what he calls me] you surprised me. We see that the music moved in your legs.” I took that as a compliment.

It was a truly special day filled with unforgettable moments. I was especially touched when Lucas presented me with a very generous gift- a plush jacket adorned with rhinestone flowers. I think all my talking about how cold it is where I come from got him worried. What a sweet gesture from my good friend. I’ll definitely miss Lucas and his whole family.

Another favorite moment was when I got to dance with all Lucas’s kids Kurian-style to the music- Monica, Veronica, Gabrielle and Elizabeth. And those kids can dance!
It was wonderful to have such a marking moment- an opportunity to honor the CDC, say good-bye to our good friends and co-laborers and to officially welcome Foundation Team 2 to Kuria. I’ll never forget it!

4 comments:

Gdogwilly said...

Sounds like a great going away party- are you coming home because of your health?

All the best to you and Doug

Gdogwilly said...

Nicole- let me interpret... gdogwilly is actually greg mcclelland- a nickname from an old roommate :)

Nicole said...

Hi Greg. No, I'm not returning home because of my health. The Nuru model includes 6 months in country and 10 months w/ a new position back in the U.S. to keep staff fresh. The idea is to prevent burnout which, unfortunately is very common in this work- it crushes creativity and organization momentum. I invite you to read my prior posts for details. Thanks for reading & commenting!

r a n d y AND h e a t h e r WARREN said...

Thanks for letting us be a part of your journey and updating your blog. We are so happy and proud of your success and are anxious for your US return!